Re: [Nautilus-list] HTTP Libraries

Eskil and I have been talking about the possibility of using gnome-vfs for some
of the http/ftp fetching (in the install components).  Ftp returns an error
because it has not been implemented yet.  There is a bug open for the current
milestone to fix it.  I believe Eskil is digging into the code now to see if
gnome-vfs will do everything we need.  However, alot of the places that we use
ghttp will be doing http posts as well.  If gnome-vfs will never support posts
then we will never be able to use it for everything.  We cannot use mozilla
netlibs for this because we cannot link against mozilla libraries.  More
licensing hoopla.  Gnet has also been tossed around as a possibility but it
doesn't do verything we want it to do.  Your current examples in
components/services are misleading because they do not reflect all the things
that we must do to create an install service.

Some of us have been strongly considering the possibility of creating a hybrid
networking library that combines all the functionality that we need.  Maybe we
could make this a plugin for gnome-vfs, I don't know.