[Muine] announcing sputnik

Hi all,

I've just finished an early version of Sputnik, an internet radio player
with a similar UI to Muine, and I'd love to get some feedback on it. The
basic functionality is more or less completed, but the user interface
could probably be improved a bit. This release is mainly just to get
some feedback, I'll do a public 0.1.0 release with a proper website in a
few weeks.

You can download version 0.0.1 from here:
ftp://oss.codepoet.no/sputnik/sputnik-0.0.1.tar.bz2

I've put up a screenshot here:
http://oss.codepoet.no/sputnik/sputnik-screenshot.png

It is built with Python and GStreamer 0.10, so you will need fairly
recent versions of pygtk, gst-python, gnome-python, and any related
packages.

Streams can be opened by either dragging a stream or playlist link from
a browser to the sputnik window, by opening an on-disk playlist, by
opening a stream or playlist over the network, or double-clicking a
playlist in Nautilus.

Stations can then be added to Sputniks station list, and opened from
there at a later time. I'm a bit unsure about the station list concept,
would it perhaps be better to call it bookmarks or something else?

I'm also considering adding station images to the main ui and the
station list, like Muine has. Many internet radio stations provide
"cover images" which could be dragged onto Sputnik to associate them
with the playing station.

It also needs an icon, and I would really appreciate it if someone with
better GIMP skills then me could throw something together.

Future plans include recording, translation, a systray icon and/or a
panel applet, and dbus-control (mainly to make sure only one instance of
sputnik is running).

So, what do you think?

--
Erik Grinaker <erikg codepoet no>