Re: [Muine] [UI CHANGES 6/6] desrt's tray icon patch (as found in ubuntu)

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 09:39 +0100, Joachim Beckers wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 10:04 +0200, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> <snip>
> > The tray icon menu provides all functionality needed to do basic
> > playback management: Play/pause, skipping songs, and selecting
> > songs/albums to play. One does not need to pop up the main window to
> > perform these tasks. Therefore the primary mouse button should pop up
> > the thing that is most important, namely the menu. Not pop up the main
> > window which is unnecessary for most tasks.
>
> I agree to some extent. The current "left button shows a menu" approach
> is cool, but it has some drawbacks.
>
> The most obvious one is that showing Muine's main window has to be done
> with the middle button. Some people don't have this button (ok, there's
> emulation, but still...) and it's a little obscure.

Why ? There isn't a "Show window" menu item for nothing ?

> Also, the left and right button now have the same function. This is not
> really a problem, but it sure looks weird.

Cool with me if people want to disable that :)

> > Using the middle mouse button to play/pause is *rather* obscure and that
> > at the very least has to be removed.
>
> See my point above, it's not more obscure that showing/hiding the main
> window. Just using the middle mouse button on a trayicon *for any
> reason* seems obscure to me.

Absolutely agree.

> > I think adding a Quit menu item is also a bad idea. The menu only
> > contains frequently performed actions, not every random feature in the
> > app, to keep the menu small and oversee-able. "Quit" is used exactly
> > once per session, and I therefore don't think it belongs there. (And
> > especially not when the main window pops up on button1)
>
> +1
>
> As a general side note:
> Who's still using a one button mouse? I can't think of anyone, except
> maybe mac users, (or are those "mighty mice" also two button?). I think
> we should more or less target the largest group of users with Muine, and
> as such, including features for two button mice seems ok to me.

The point is more that any functionality hidden behind other mouse
buttons is hard to find. Most people don't go around trying all 3+ mouse
buttons on all widgets to see what they all do.

> Actually, this seems like a good case for adding both kinds of
> functionality, and a gconf key for the user to specify which type he/she
> wants.

Such a small thing ? Not worth a pref if you ask me. We just need to
settle on something sane.

Thanks,

Jorn

--