Re: [Muine] [UI CHANGES 5/6] Right click context menu for playlist (ML post from Iain)

On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 23:21 -0800, Peter Johanson wrote:
> [5/6] Right click context menu for playlist (ML post from Iain) - Proposes
> adding a context menu for the playlist that plugins can add items to for
> acting on given songs. I'm torn on this. The HIG specifically states
> that you should try to avoid having items only available via a context
> menu, but also suggests "...a popup menu for every object, selectable part,
> and text input target..". If we do add this, it would make sense to add
> items such as "Play", "Cut", "Copy", "Delete", and "Paste" to act upon
> the selected song(s). Once Jorn's "information dialog" proposal is
> implemented, an item for that would make sense here too. I'm hoping to
> get the most feedback on this item, and the next one.

I don't know about this. I think a context menu would go against the
simplicity of Muine. IMO, we should always focus on the player
capabilities, and not on the plugins. I like the way it's done now, with
a more or less dedicated menu (read: jar) where they are put (read:
locked ;) ).

Maybe we should first think of what items specifically we would want to
have in such a context menu. What you mention ("Play", "Cut", "Copy",
"Delete", and "Paste") doesn't really belong in Muine. Well, "Play" is
done via double clicking, "Delete" via ^del. And what would "Cut",
"Copy" and "Paste" do? I don't see the use actually.

Out of the plugins I have installed, only three would benefit from this
change:
-MuineTrash, which removes files from the library
-The serpentine plugin, which records a playlist to cd
-MuineTag, which tags songs

>From plugins out in the wild (that I couldn't build, otherwise I would
have them installed), I can see the value for:
-Muine-burn, which does the same as the serpentine plugin, but using
nautilus-burn
-Muine-ipod, which syncs muine with an ipod or vice versa

However, if all these plugins would add (an) action(s) to the context
menu, I think there would be anarchy quite instantly. It's already hard
enough to find the right plugin in the File menu now.

Joachim