[Muine] Restructuring the menu... I didn't want to polute Iain's thread.

On 2/22/06, Joachim Beckers <joachim beckers belgacom net> wrote:
> putting it here eliminates the help menu (which is a
> good thing (TM) since we don't provide any real help in it).

My #1 reason for removing it locally :)

> > But, nothing else in GNOME has an application menu and separating Play
> > from the Previous and Next option seems artificial to me.
>
> Well, it's not wrong just because nothing else in gnome has it, right?

I know its not wrong, but it makes it stand out, and a bit weird...

> think in this case it fits nicely. The application menu lists
> application-wide actions:
> -) play (otherwise their should be "play song" inside the song menu,
> idem for "play album", then "play" in the playlist menu)

Maybe play should actually go in the Playlist menu, because really, it
is "Play playlist", and next and previous should move into the
Playlist too, as they are "Move to next/prev song in Playlist", and as
if to strengthen this viewpoint, these options only do things when
there are items in the playlist...

> -) import songs (see below)
> -) about (see earlier comment)
> -) quit (obviously)
>
> > Import Songs should go in the Song menu as it is essentially an
> > operation on a Song (Add song(s) to Muine's database)
>
> I disagree here. It's essentialy an operation on the song database,
> which is adding songs to it. In no way it is similar to the other
> commands in the song menu, which act on songs *already in the database*.

As pointed out above, 3 of the commands in the song menu act on the
playlist rather than the songs. Maybe the song menu should be
rethought as well?

iain