Re: [Muine] CoverDatabase proposal

(I don't have much time now, my apologies for leaving some other
mails/bugreports untouched for now)

Citeren Tamara <foxxygirltamara gmail com>:

> Based on some user feedback (sorry, just in #muine so no archived
> copy), I was thinking about removing CoverDatabase and replacing it
> with JPEGs stored in ~/.gnome2/muine/covers/

That's going to introduce a horrible lot of disc seeking. Those files
will be scattered all over the disc if files are added to the db
at different times. Bad, bad, bad.

> The filenames would simply be the Album Key (which is folder name:album
> title).
>
> This proposal would save space by using JPEGs rather than serialized
> Pixbufs and would make it extremely easy for someone to write a script
> to link or copy these covers to /path/to/album/folder.jpg or something
> similar.

I don't see the disc space as a big issue.. I mean, with several hundreds of
cover images the file isn't bigger than a few MB.

> The proposal would also clean up some code by making
> src/CoverDatabase.cs nearly empty and removing some functions from
> src/Database.cs and libmuine/db.[ch].
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?
>
> Also, I am very against Jorn's idea of making Muine retag MP3s with
> the cover. Muine is a music *player* and should not be in the business
> of altering the music files it is given in any way. Leave that for a
> tagger. The Amazon.com cover downloading is one of our biggest selling
> points and that definitely should not go.

Hmm, I don't think I ever said that outside of a brainstorming context, but OK:)
Anyway, the whole business of downloading cover images should be in the tagger
app. That includes the amazon thing, as it is a management task.