Re: [Muine] access to extra tag info?

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 22:48 +0100, uws wrote:
> På Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 02:51:00PM +0200, Jorn Baayen skrev:
> > MusicBrainz IDs are, to my knowledge, calculated, and not as a tag in
> > the file. Using the GST musicbrainz element the ID can be accessed using
> > the tags API, yes ..
>
> Let me clarify this.
>
> The IDs are not calculated, since they are unique identifiers for a
> artist/album/song in the musicbrainz database. I think you're confusing IDs
> with TRM fingerprints (also known as acoustic fingerprints) which are used
> to identify a song. Identifying a song through musicbrainz is basically a
> artist/album/song ID's lookup by submitting the TRM fingerprint for the
> song.
>
> The only musicbrainz tagger application I've ever used is the official
> Windows client (I use wine to run it). This application stores the
> artist/album/song IDs in special tags, but I don't know whether these tags
> are standardized or specific to this tagger application.

Oops, I wrote a response to Jorn's email earlier, but I accidentally
replied off-list.  Yes, MusicBrainz has TRMs which are signatures
calculated based on the audio content, as well as unique IDs for each
artist/album/track in their database.

The storage of these values in metadata isn't a standard in the sense
that ID3 itself is, but since ID3v2, Ogg, and FLAC all allow for custom
comments frames MusicBrainz came up with their own specification for how
they store their data in these fields:
http://www.musicbrainz.org/docs/specs/metadata_tags.html

So, if you want to store/read MusicBrainz tags you should follow their
guidelines.

--
Matthew Good <muine matt-good net>