Re: [Muine] NEW PRELEASE: 0.8.1pre1

�el kenal p�al (esmasp�, 17. jaanuar 2005, 12:54+0300), kirjutas
Andrew Dolgov:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:20:18 +0100, Jorn Baayen <jbaayen gnome org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A new prerelease, 0.8.1pre1:
> > http://muine.gooeylinux.org/muine-0.8.1pre1.tar.gz
> >
> > - Only list complete albums in album list. An album is complete
> >   if the number of tracks equals the "total number of tracks" tag.
> >   (We are "mild"- 3 more or less will be fine too)
> >
> >   The "total number of tracks" tag is the second half of the
> >   track number" tag (N/TOTAL) in ID3, or the "tracktotal" tag
> >   in vorbiscomment.
> >
> >   Use easytag 1.99.x to tag your albums like this if they aren't
> >   already. You can do them all at once at the click of one button.
>
> Uh. Is this behaviour mandatory? I hope not, because fixing metadata
> again and again after copying stuff from cd/dvd-r's just so Muine
> would kindly recognize the files is becoming more and more of a
> hassle. I could live without track sorting, but if album would not
> even show in list... :-(

For now, yes. But I'll accept patches introducing a gconf key making
this behaviour optional, for poor souls like you who have their tags
etched into stone :)

> By the way, I have a lot of music burned before this tracknumber hack
> thingie in ID3 came into existence. Could it be possible for Muine to
> handle the situation where there are no tracknumbers in album files
> and sort tracks accordingly to file names in alphabetical order, not
> just randomly, for us oldtimers, who used to encode our mp3s on the
> calculator, in the snow, uphill both ways? :-)
>
> E.g. the albums were usually ripped as such:
>
> 01 - track blah blah.mp3
> 02 - blah blah blah.mp3
>
> <rant>
> To say the truth, I was kinda suprised when Rhythmbox (and then Muine,
> et cetera) did not do sorting using file names at all. I really think
> that it is the job of music player to adapt to music collection of the
> end user, which could be probably kinda wrong-tagged etc, not just
> force the sudden burden of rewriting hundreds of cds because of the
> information (which, sometimes, could be gathered in other, less
> obtrusive way and otherwise just be ignored if not available) just so
> the player would play the damn music already...
>
> Sorry. I got carried away, but the point stands. :-)
> </rant>

Again, I'll accept a patch introducing a simple ensure_track_number
function in metadata.c, which, if track_number is -1, tries to atoi ()
it from the first one or two chars from the filename.

Cheers,