Re: [Muine] NEW PRELEASE: 0.8.1pre1

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:20:18 +0100, Jorn Baayen <jbaayen gnome org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A new prerelease, 0.8.1pre1:
> http://muine.gooeylinux.org/muine-0.8.1pre1.tar.gz
>
> - Only list complete albums in album list. An album is complete
>   if the number of tracks equals the "total number of tracks" tag.
>   (We are "mild"- 3 more or less will be fine too)
>
>   The "total number of tracks" tag is the second half of the
>   track number" tag (N/TOTAL) in ID3, or the "tracktotal" tag
>   in vorbiscomment.
>
>   Use easytag 1.99.x to tag your albums like this if they aren't
>   already. You can do them all at once at the click of one button.

Uh. Is this behaviour mandatory? I hope not, because fixing metadata
again and again after copying stuff from cd/dvd-r's just so Muine
would kindly recognize the files is becoming more and more of a
hassle. I could live without track sorting, but if album would not
even show in list... :-(

By the way, I have a lot of music burned before this tracknumber hack
thingie in ID3 came into existence. Could it be possible for Muine to
handle the situation where there are no tracknumbers in album files
and sort tracks accordingly to file names in alphabetical order, not
just randomly, for us oldtimers, who used to encode our mp3s on the
calculator, in the snow, uphill both ways? :-)

E.g. the albums were usually ripped as such:

01 - track blah blah.mp3
02 - blah blah blah.mp3

<rant>
To say the truth, I was kinda suprised when Rhythmbox (and then Muine,
et cetera) did not do sorting using file names at all. I really think
that it is the job of music player to adapt to music collection of the
end user, which could be probably kinda wrong-tagged etc, not just
force the sudden burden of rewriting hundreds of cds because of the
information (which, sometimes, could be gathered in other, less
obtrusive way and otherwise just be ignored if not available) just so
the player would play the damn music already...

Sorry. I got carried away, but the point stands. :-)
</rant>

--
Andrew.