Re: [Muine] CD burning

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 12:09 +0000, Matthew Kay wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 00:26 +0200, Yo'av Moshe wrote:
> > AFAIK the burning patch doesn't going to be commited, but I think that
> > the new plugins system can be the place for it.
>
> Just wanted to add a voice of support for this feature for my favourite
> music player - I'm glad that there will be an option for CD burning in
> the future. I was disappointed to see it under the 'Never' list in the
> TODO on the website; I understand the wish to prevent muine getting
> feature-bloated, but I really don't think it's correct to say that there
> is a better standalone tool for AuidoCD-from-mp3/ogg-burning.  Muine's
> playlist-based UI would make creating Audio CDs completely intuitive.

Yes, the state of CD burning capabilities on the Gnome Desktop does seem
to be slightly lacking at the moment, but I don't think that's an excuse
to hack it onto Muine.  The thing I like so much about Muine is that its
interface is so simple and focused on a single task.

What I would like to see is not to add CD burning to Muine (even as a
plugin), but rather to make Muine use drag-and-drop, or a menu item for
transferring Muine playlists into an external CD burning application.

There are several CD burning programs under development for Gnome:
http://www.gnomefiles.org/subcategory.php?sub_cat_id=103

I haven't tested them out yet so I can't comment on their functional
state, but in terms of UI I like Coaster the best at the moment.
GnomeBaker looks pretty good, but I don't like the idea of integrating
the file browser in the application itself.

I think maybe the approach for Muine to take is to talk to the
developers of these CD burning applications to start working on
integration.

--
Matthew Good <muine matt-good net>