Re: [Muine] Muine-shell fails to work

G�r Farkas wrote:

Mark McLauchlan wrote:

Hi

I installed muine-shell but it refuses to work, I have dbus 0.23 and it is up and running.

I added some prints in the source code, and connecting to dbus always fails:
connection = dbus_g_bus_get(DBUS_BUS_SESSION, NULL);
results in connection being NULL

It sounds like the daemon is running but the environment variables
aren't set.  Is anything else that uses DBus working?  My suggestion is
to look at dbus-launch - either use 'dbus-launch muine-shell' or better
still start your window manager using 'dbus-launch wm'.

yes, make sure that the 'correct' dbus is running,
because for example there's usually a system-wide dbus process running.
that's not the dbus-process you need...

technically there are 2 things that have to be there:

1. the dbus process has to run (as your user)
2. the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable has to be set up correctly..

but muine-launch takes care all of this...

gabor

I was trying muine-shell as root, that's what caused the connection to be NULL, when I run it as a user the connection is different from NULL but muine-shell still doesn't work.
these are my DBUS variables:
export | grep -i dbus
declare -x DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-dIPjG8U0h3"
declare -x DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID="6207"

I am using muine version 0.6.3, is it too old? It's the the latest one in portage (using gentoo) and updating to the version of the site would imply upgrading a whole lot of dependencies...

Greets