Re: [Muine] Some UI comments

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 22:03 +0100, Lars Weber wrote:

> Jorn Baayen <jorn nl linux org> wrote:
> > [...] So, I tried appending it to the album title..
> > But it looks very cluttered: http://nl.linux.org/~jorn/Muine/year.png
>
> Yes, I agree that this doesn't look very clean.  Also appending it to the
> album title has the problem that it's more likely to produce entries like
> "*Album Title (supplement)* (year)".

Indeed..

> Hmm... another option might be to put the year onto a separate line
> (perhaps in a slightly smaller font than the default):
>
> ,-----------//
> |-----------------------
> | ####### *Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables*
> | ####### Dead Kennedys
> | ####### 1980
> | #######
> |-----------------------
> | ####### *Live & Alive*
> | ####### Dead Kennedys
> | #######
> | ####### Bootleg
> |-----------------------
> | ####### *Never been on MTV*
> | ####### Dead Kennedys
> | ####### 1984
> | ####### Bootleg
> `-----------//
>
> ... or maybe on a line together with the type-of-release information (a
> smaller font might again be a good idea):
>
> ,-----------//
> |-----------------------
> | ####### *Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables*
> | ####### Dead Kennedys
> | ####### 1980
> | #######
> |-----------------------
> | ####### *Live & Alive*
> | ####### Dead Kennedys
> | ####### Bootleg
> | #######
> |-----------------------
> | ####### *Never been on MTV*
> | ####### Dead Kennedys
> | ####### 1984, Bootleg
> | #######
> `-----------//
>
> But ...

Hrm..

You know, when dealing with classical music with performers different
from the composers, we now get:

--
Curse upon iron
Veljo Tormis

Performed by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir
--

If we'd merge taht with the year stuff, we'd get:

--
Curse upon iron
Veljo Tormis
Performed by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir
--

Ugh. So bloated looking.

> > i'm also not sure year is find useful by everyone. I have a huge
> > collection for example, and I've never looked at the year apart from
> > just interest ..
>
> ... if that's how you feel (and there's also no strong support for
> displaying the year from other people) the right thing I think is just to
> not display the year at all!
>
> I'll likely just create a patch for personal use then to have Muine show
> the year in the album list here :-)

Actually I'm hoping all this extra info for finding the album you want
will be less relevant once we have the groups in. Since you'd be able to
make groups for different moods, the need for finding specific music
will eventually disappear.

> > But how do I detect reliably whether something is a bootleg or not?
>
> Unless something similar to libmusicbrainz is used to detect this kind of
> information automatically the user would of course have to manually mark
> the releases correspondingly.

Ah ok..

Cheers,

Jorn