Re: [Muine] Some UI comments

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 17:54 +0100, Lars Weber wrote:

> Jorn Baayen <jorn nl linux org> wrote:
> > This is very subjective, but to my mind a toolbar is something has to do
> > with documents, manipulating them, viewing in some kind of way, etc. Not
> > something that has as much .. direct functionality as the playback
> > buttons. [...]
>
> My own view (also subjective of course :-)) is rather that every button
> with global effects should be placed on the toolbar and that only buttons
> which are related to specific ui-elements should be placed in the main ui.
>
> FWIW, I once did a mockup while thinking about the Rhythmbox ui in which I
> placed the buttons on the toolbar:
>
>   http://brokenbits.de/lars/cruft/rb-player.png
>
> This is even more subjective but personally I feel that the player window
> appears cleaner/more standard with the buttons on a toolbar.
>
> Anyway, if you disagree I can live with that...

Ok.. I've added investigating using a toolbar to the TODO list. However,
we can only do this once Gtk# supports Gtk 2.3 ..

> > I think... adding much more info to the albums treeview would be very
> > cluttered. [...]
>
> Definitely!  And I strongly prefer the current minimalist approach to
> anything that's not at least nearly as clean.  However, I wonder whether
> the following wouldn't qualify as "nearly as clean":
>
> ,-----------//
> | ####### *Bedtime For Democracy*
> | ####### Dead Kennedys (1986)
> | #######
> | #######
> |-----------------------
> | ####### *Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables*
> | ####### Dead Kennedys (1980)
> | #######
> | #######
> |-----------------------
> | ####### *Live & Alive*
> | ####### Dead Kennedys
> | ####### /Bootleg/
> | #######
> |-----------------------
> | ####### *Mutiny On The Bay*
> `-----------//
>
> Legend: *bold* /italic/
>
> The above seems pretty unobtrusive to me, and I'd personally find the
> additional information pretty useful.  In the case of the "Live & Alive"
> album there is no Year information available but the release is recognized
> as a bootleg and is therefore marked as such.

Ok..

I think the year bit looks rather cluttered though.. squashing two kinds
of info into one line.
Also gets messy with multiple-artist albums ..
So, I tried appending it to the album title..
But it looks very cluttered: http://nl.linux.org/~jorn/Muine/year.png
I'm also not sure year is find useful by everyone. I have a huge
collection for example, and I've never looked at the year apart from
just interest ..

But how do I detect reliably whether something is a bootleg or not?

> > > I actually have some additional thoughts regarding the previous discussion
> > > of groups, etc. [...]
>
> Those comments will still have to wait a little ... my brain is currently
> recovering from a little misuse yesterday and therefore not in a good
> shape for thinking :-)

Ok. :)

Cheers,

Jorn