Re: MeeGo

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM, Stefan Kost <ensonic hora-obscura de> wrote:
> hi,
> Am 15.02.2010 19:02, schrieb Mike Turquette:
>> What does this mean for GNOME Mobile?  From the Architecture page:
>>
>> "MeeGo UI Toolkit
>>
>> The MeeGo UI toolkit is the primary toolkit for developing MeeGo
>> applications and is based on Qt with specific enhancements and
>> additions. GTK and Clutter are also included for application
>> compatibility."
>>
>> Sounds like GTK+ is taking a back seat.  More info at
>> http://meego.com/developers/meego-architecture
>>
>> Mike
>
> yes, gtk+ takes a backseat. So what can we do? gtk+ needs to make a better first
> impression on software vendors as well. There are people working on that, but
> those are clearly not enough of them. Almost everyone can help with
>
> - moving the apis docs from tmpl to inline
> - afterward improving the docs
> - getting rid of cruft in the code
> - writing tests
> - review pending patches
> - help triaging bugs
>
> Don't take any of those platform decisions cast in stone, in the end the
> companies will use what they feel is better,

Just do not forget that in all videos on meego they say "Qt Creator",
and all clients I visit came with the same question "Is there a visual
studio/xcode like ide that integrates with documentation, code
completion and UI builder?"

I know we, foss hackers, don't care much about that -- I'm quite happy
with my emacs, most of my employees use vim. But for clients that were
used to VS/XCode, they can't afford wasting time and resources on
learning our development way.   Nokia spotted that quite soon, with Qt
Creator being announced soon after their buyout.

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri