Re: Hacking the GPL v3

Dave Neary <dneary-rDKQcyrBJuzYtjvyW6yDsg public gmane org> writes:

> The short version is, Canola has added a Section 7 (which is GPL v3
> compatible according to Jim Zemlin) which says "you don't have to
> abide by the tricky bits of section 6".

It is not particularly surprising that the section 7 is GPL compatible,
since it is an additional permission. It's only GPL compatible in the
sense that if you combine it with plain GPL, you get plain GPL.

A license is effectively a conditional promise not to sue someone.
Section 7 is just "Oh, and by the way, we won't sue you if you do this
thing either". If you're the author you can add as many of those as you
wish to whichever license you want.

/Benny