Re: SFO call for action - aka questionnaire

> About you:
> 1. Please describe your background a little bit, i.e. what are you
> working on that made you interested in Gnome/mobile? If it helps us
> understand your background, who are you working for?

I'm working as a Software Engg in PathPartner Technology
(www.pathpartnertech.com).
We are a technology startup focused on multimedia/convergence centric
embedded systems. We intend to explore possibility of using Gnome
Mobile components to provide a complete system solution for end
equipments.

> When you first heard of Gnome/mobile:
> 2. What did you think it to be? Please be as frank as possible - what
> were your really *first* thoughts?
>
> 3. What did you expect from it? What did you hope to see as a result
> from it?
>
> 4. Why did you join the group? Do you feel like a "member" at all? If
> not, why not?
>
> 5. Did it match your expectations? If not, why? If yes, how?

I'm following this list for last 7-8 months. Initially I expected it
to be an official Gnome ready to use Mobile stack (like Maemo, Moblin
or Ubuntu mobile :)
I'm relatively new (~10 months exp) in Mobile/Embedded world and this
list gave me a meaningful insight on Mobile components and available
Gnome/open-source options.

> 6. Is there something like a top-three of most important goals that you
> (personally, not thinking of the group as a whole) would like to see
> addressed by Gnome/mobile? (Three would be great, one is enough too)
>

> And today:
> 7. How do you perceive Gnome/mobile today? What is missing? What is too
> much? What is / could be Gnome/mobile's first priority goal? And second?

Personally I would like to see that stack growing by adding one more
layer, may be of Gnome recommended set of applications for Wifi or GPS
or GStreamer based media player, on top of Gnome Mobile components
layer.

> Technically:
> 8. What do you think should qualify a platform for being a Gnome/mobile
> platform? A specific set of components used? If yes, which components?
>
> 9. Or should there be a formal qualification process? If yes, what would
> be your idea about it? If not, why not?
>
> 10. What should be the technology goals of Gnome/mobile? Like creating a
> toolbox rather than a product? Or collaboration and information
> infrastructure rather than a development project?

I will vote for it to be a collaboration and information
infrastructure rather than going for one more Maemo/Mobline/Ubuntu
like mobile stack since they already support almost all the popular
platforms like omap, atom, open-moko etc

> everyone interested is welcome and can at once participate. Would you
> like to see this a little more formally structured? Like a formal
> membership, application process, levels of membership, voting processes,
> etc.? Or would like to see it grow as is, a group connected by ideas and
> consensus rather than rules? Other ideas?

Let it grow as it is. A group connected by ideas and consensus rather
than rules.

Regards
Amit Pundir