Re: GNOME Mobile 2009: what do you want to see?

Stormy Peters schrieb:
> GNOME Mobile Team,
>
> Paul, Dave and I were talking and thought we ought to touch bases as a
> group.

Good idea!

> Your name:
Nils Faerber

kernel concepts
GPE / G(PE)^2 / LinuxToGo

> How long you've been hanging out here:

Founding member.

> Why you are interested in GNOME Mobile:

We started with, I guess the first, GTK+ PDA environment development and
still stick to the technologies developer by or in the vicinity of
Gnome. We think those to be very well suited for mobile devices and ease
the development of mobile frameworks.

> How you plan to use GNOME Mobile:

The lack of open mobile devices currently limits our possibilities
though we intend to have deeper looks at Freesmartphone.org (FSO) soon.

> What you plan to contribute:

Well, hopefully at some point a working system for new devices ;)

> What'd you like to see from GNOME Mobile:

My view on Gnome mobile is rather to see it as a mind-sharing platform.
A platform where people, projects and communities with same interests
and similar approaches to solve similar problems can meet, interact and
especially collaborate and exchange ideas etc.
The mobile world by its very nature cannot be made as homogeneously as
it can be done for e.g. desktops or servers. Limited resources, starting
with screen size, enforce a strict limitation on the things really
needed. And since the choice and look&feel of applications on a mobile
device define the actual device in a much bigger way than they do on a
desktop PC we will always see a variety of applications doing the same
thing.
What Gnome-mobile can achieve is to commonly agree on the basics, i.e.
all the parts below the application, and to promote this framework. Then
application development for the different flavours will not cause
fragmentation but variety and freedom of choice.
In this sense I do not expect much actual code development going on
inside Gnome-mobile, but frequent exchange between the participants (a
common announce mailinglist where all participants can make announcement
of their current developments would be a nice start, a quite public wiki
would be great too).
Well, I hope you get the message ;)

> Thanks,
> Stormy
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de