Re: GNOME Mobile 2009: what do you want to see?

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 11:33 -0700, Stormy Peters wrote:
> GNOME Mobile Team,
>
> Paul, Dave and I were talking and thought we ought to touch bases as a
> group.
>
> To date, GNOME Mobile has successfully brought together an ecosystem
> of mobile device folks from very small to very big businesses. GNOME
> now considers mobile usage of our core libraries and components,
> allowing us to use the same core code on the desktop and all devices.
>
> Moving forward into 2009 there a lot of things we'd like to
> accomplish. In an effort to get to know each other and each of our
> priorities, I'd like to ask each person to introduce themselves with
> the following info:
>
> Your name:

Philip Van Hoof

Codeminded BVBA, partnered with Codethink Ltd.

> How long you've been hanging out here:

GMAE: Since the first meeting at GUADEC
GNOME: euh ...

> Why you are interested in GNOME Mobile:

A lot of the components that I work on for my customers use or are part
of GNOME Mobile.

I believe there's a void in the mobile & embedded markets. Windows
Desktop development and Browser Web development all happened yesterday.

Mobile and especially embedded might be tomorrow (together and
integrated with web and desktop, of course).

I enjoy the idea of working on tomorrow.

> How you plan to use GNOME Mobile:

The Maemo platform uses GNOME mobile's components a lot.

> What you plan to contribute:

Atm. I'm working mostly on Tracker. Before that I have been working on
Modest and Tinymail (E-mail client and library being used on the current
Maemo platform).

Atm. involved in trying to specify a few services, as mobile
applications must not reinvent what the platform can already do. Like
thumbnailing, metadata querying & harvesting, album art downloading,
etc. A future idea is to for example specify (and prototype) E-mail as a
service in a similar way (in cooperation with the metadata query
service, ie. using Xesam2).

> What'd you like to see from GNOME Mobile:

More professional organization. But with you being hired, Stormy, this
is going in the right direction already.

Actual goals.

A release team, with actual releases for the components.

A technical team, for making technical decisions and foster cooperation
between projects. For mobile/embedded softwares it's very important to
work together on the bigger picture: the use-cases of the device.

etc.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog