Re: Technologies for Consideration: Java ME ~ What's the deal?

Hi Ken,

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 14:47 -0400, Ken Gilmer wrote:
>    I've only been reading this list for a few months so my apologies
> in advance if these questions have been asked recently (Google
> couldn't find anything): What does it mean that Java ME is a
> technology for consideration for Gnome Mobile?  Since the line links
> to a J2ME site, do I assume this is what is desired?  What about Java
> gtk+ bindings and D-Bus?  Are there active efforts?  What constraints
> would be placed on potential contributions?  (JVM provider, class
> libraries, classpath exception clause, etc.)

Basically this means that we know that JavaME exists and is used by some
people, but there needs to be more research done to see if it should be
added as a recommended component, needs work to be better integrated
into the GNOME Mobile platform, and so on.

This is where you probably know more than the rest of us: what is the
state of JavaME and GNOME Mobile integration?  (I'm very out of touch
with Java now, so bear with me)  Is there an AWT or Swing implementation
with a GTK+ backend?  Are there usable DBus bindings?  How about the
rest of the platform such as GConf, GIO and so on?  Are some VMs better
integrated than others, or do most open VMs these days all use
Classpath?

Answer these questions well Ken, and I may bring more Laphroaig... ;)

Cheers,
Ross
--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre