Re: Gnome mobile status?

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 11:54 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Just wondering what the status of gnome-mobile is. I don't read
> anything about it in the release announcement for gnome 2.24 beta
> (would have been thought that was one of the best spots to get it
> noticed)
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2008-August/msg00073.html
> so wondering what the status is.

Speaking as the GNOME Mobile Release Manager, I need to stop sucking and
get a beta release set out with the 2.24 beta.  I'm busy with Real work
but I'll see what I can do...

> Fedora is putting together a SIG for small devices such as netbooks,
> MIDs etc so I thought I'd look at putting together a spin for
> gnome-mobile as well as possibly hildon as part of that.

That would be great.

> Looking around I found http://mobile.gnome.igalia.com/ which has a
> list of modules, of that list the only ones that aren't currently in
> Fedora are matchbox-desktop and matchbox-panel but I'm not sure of the
> status of them as the last release was back in around March 07. I now
> have an installable test of a gnome-mobile meta package but will need
> to file some Fedora bugs to help split out some deps.

Changing hats, speaking as an OpenedHand^WIntel developer who works on
the Matchbox suite we're very lax at actually making releases.  The
(bad) reason behind this is that our build system can and does pull
directly from svn.  I'll try and get releases out fairly soon for the
rest of the matchbox stack.

> Also what is the status of hildon within gnome? I don't see any
> updates to l.g.o since Feb nor any release tarballs, its suppose to be
> part of moblin but it all looks a little fragmented. Is it still due
> to come across from nokia/maemo?

Regarding GNOME Mobile, there was work to integrate parts of Hildon into
GNOME Mobile but nothing really happened there.  The responsibility for
this falls on Nokia/maemo, I imagine they've been busy with "real" work.

Ross
--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre
http://oss.intel.com/