Re: Goal for GNOME Mobile?

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 14:08 +0200, Quim Gil wrote:
> The trap of keeping the GNOME identity tied to a specific technology
> (GTK+) as a best replacement for a lack of identity and vision (*).
> This approach worked during the first decade of GNOME, I just wonder
> whether it can be kept for the mobile decade.

I was meaning to bring this point up over the weekend as part of the
Clutter inclusion question.  During the meeting at GUADEC there was a
general consensus that:

a) Clutter should be added to GNOME Mobile
b) The best way of determining if something can be considered to be
using "GNOME Mobile" -- given the flexibility and freedom inherent in
the stack -- would be to say "uses either Clutter or GTK+".

So, do we still agree that Clutter should sit alongside GTK+ in the
GNOME Mobile 2.26 diagram, as an optional/complementary user interface
library?  Devices can use just GTK+ and be GNOME Mobile (Vernier,
current Maemo), or have a primarily GTK+ interface with Clutter parts
and be GNOME Mobile (Ubuntu Mobile, Maemo Fremantle I imagine), or be
purely Clutter and still be GNOME Mobile (nothing here yet).

Ross
--
Intel Open Source Technology Centre
http://oss.intel.com/