Re: Goal for GNOME Mobile?

Peter Robinson wrote:
I think GNOME Mobile could use a goal. Something we are all aiming for. (And
perhaps we have one and I'm not aware of it.) We have a mission that is
good, http://gnome.org/mobile.

Could we make GNOME Mobile a complete solution like Android? A set of
software and a spec that hardware vendors could write to and ISVs could
develop on top of? I realized we'd need to expand into the Linux kernel
space to make that happen. GNOME mobile would be completely free and open
and not tied to proprietary web apps like Gmail.

What about collaboration with something like LiMo so that there's less
need to expand into kernel space or reinvent the wheel?
This is certainly something we should be exploring (and I'm bugging the LiMo folks to do likewise from the other side). I'd strongly discourage the notion that GNOME Mobile should represent a complete solution for several reasons: it's duplicative--lots of activity going on in this space that GNOME should support rather than compete with; it's unrealistic--there's no domain expertise in critical areas like telephony, etc.; it's insufficiently focused--we should concentrate on getting the existing GNOME technologies, particularly things like GTK, working optimally on ARM before we start looking at adding more stuff...