Re: Goal for GNOME Mobile?

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 10:46 +0200, Quim Gil wrote:

> However, what about the relevant parts of the freedesktop.org "layer"?
> GStreamer, Telepathy, Clutter and many more, totally relevant in the
> mobile context.
>
> "This is not GNOME", many said in the past and nowadays.
>
> I wonder how good this is for the GNOME PPRR, identity and even survival
> in the long term.
>
> These technologies and even the idea of freedesktop.org were born around
> GNOME, their individual maintainers have a clear GNOME background and
> even involvement, the companies pushing them are in the GNOME context.
> If I want to find all of them I just need to go to GUADEC. However, in
> the public space and in the minds of IT analysts and decision-makers,
> none of these provide awareness or karma points to GNOME.

Note that freedesktop.org wasn't created for Gnome; it was always
intended as a generic technology site that would serve anyone doing free
desktop work (says me, one of the people who got the system and helped
set it up initially).  It was to have a desktop neutral site on which to
collaborate, to enable both Gnome and KDE folks to contribute and
collaborate...
                            - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg laptop org>