Re: DRAFT Agenda for GNOME Mobile meeting in Austin

I unfortunately won't be able to attend the meeting in person, so I'll
reply with my thoughts to this email.

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 21:42 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> 09:00 - 10:30:
>
> Generate a list of features and patches which are being maintained
> out-of-tree, and identify resources to get them integrated, where
> relevant, into the upstream project.
>
> Examples:
>  - EDS DBus back-end
>  - Gconf DBus back-end

These are whole-project ports rather than just backends, and are tricky
to merge.

I do plan on merging eds-dbus back into EDS, but this is a large task
and I just haven't had the time. :(

Regarding gconf-dbus, as far as I am aware there are no plans to merge
it back at the moment.  It would need a fair amount of work, and dconf
is starting to appear, which would replace both GConf and gconf-dbus.

>  - GTK+/glib patches

Speaking as a Poky (pokylinux.org) developer, there are a few
interesting patches to GTK we maintain:

1) A reduced size file chooser for smaller screens
2) Extra options to the file selector so it is possible to root the file
system at an arbitrary location (such as $HOME)
3) A file system backend which reads mount points from /media

We'd like to see (1) merged as an optional file selector in GTK+, but as
there is a lot of code duplicated from the default file chooser really
the common widgets should be refactored out

(2) we can probably split out and see if they would be accepted

(3) now belongs in gio.  I've heard that it has special /media handling,
so we should check this out and maybe this can be dropped when we
upgrade to the latest GTK+.

> 13:30 - 15:00
>
> Define the packages to be included in the GNOME Mobile release package,
> and the short-term goals running up to 2.24 and 2.26.
> Briefly discuss candidate technologies.

(changes hat from Poky developer to GNOME Mobile Release Manager)

My current plan is as follows:

- GNOME 2.24

Keep the list of packages as-is.  Create a jhbuild module set and verify
that the Mobile platform is buildable without anything from desktop
GNOME.  Evaluate which packages are likely to be dropped in the future,
for example we can drop gnome-vfs now that we have GIO, and dconf in the
future may replace gconf-dbus.

I believe that the core Mobile platform shouldn't contain any
user-visible packages, because every target device is different.
Instead it should focus on providing a solid and well-integrated core
and bless several projects which provide the user-interface, such as
Hildon (Maemo, Ubuntu Mobile) and Sato (Poky, Vernier Labquest).

As far as upcoming packages we should be considering goes, I think we
should be looking at Gypsy (GPS daemon) and Clutter (GL toolkit).
(disclaimer: these are OH projects).  I can't think of anything else
interesting which has appeared recently.

- GNOME 2.26

Hopefully, with luck, the GNOME 2.26 release announcement will include
the Mobile platform.

Ross
--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/