Re: DRAFT Agenda for GNOME Mobile meeting in Austin

Hi,

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
> Dave Neary wrote:
> I have a small query here - in terms of objectives what does GNOME
> Mobile want to do ?

Enable good old-fashioned free software collaboration between industry
and community in the domain of mobile and embedded platforms.

There are more & more communities building hardware that uses our code,
and our code often needs changes which enable it to run better in low
memory or soft real-time environments. We're enabling that work to
happen in GNOME, rather than being maintained behind closed dorrs with a
.tgz "stuff we patched" code-dump on the website. That work also makes
GNOME better for all our users, by reducing the memory footprint of the
desktop and improving performance of our core libraries.

> So, is the GNOME
> Mobile initiative an effort to be a SIG within the GNOME framework
> towards ensuring that the bits that are important to "mobile" are
> present and in proper shape ? Or, is it something more, like a standards
> and frameworks effort specifically for mobile and GNOME ?

More like the first.

> Suggestion: The list be generated earlier to the meeting and the meeting
> used to discussion on the "what to do now" aspects.

Working on it.

> | Identify 1 or 2 mid- and long-term goals for GNOME Mobile. Define a
> | strategy for attaining them. Discuss again strategy for communication,
> | as on the previous call. Include certification programs in discussion.
>
> Can you elaborate a bit on "certification" please ?

Having the foot on hardware that uses the GNOME Mobile stack. Discussion
required on what that means, of course.

> Would this require distribution specific feedback as well ?

Not really. The first release of GNOME Mobile is likely to be what is
presented on gnome.org/mobile and no more - but things have moved a bit
in the last two years. There is a partial jhbuild recipe for GNOME
Mobile which Jeff did, and Ross tells me that poky could be used to
create developer sandboxes, which sounds great.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary