Re: Shock announcement today: Nokia buys Symbian, will release S60 for free, with source code

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 17:28 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For those who haven't seen it yet, Nokia today announced that they're
> buying out the rest of Symbian, setting up a Symbian Foundation (with
> many LiMo members, from what I can tell), and releasing S60 as
> royalty-freesoftware with source code available:
>
> Article: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2321553,00.asp
> Symbian Foundation: http://www.symbianfoundation.org/

>From the Symbian Foundation website:

"Also, it will commit to moving the platform to open source during the
next two years, with the intent to use the Eclipse Public License."

Thus the source is not yet available, unless you pay the $1500 for the
membership - not much for a company but a bit beyond for individual
developers.