Re: Mojo

Hi;

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 12:16 +0200, Florian Boor wrote:

> Miko Nieminen schrieb:
> > I think that could be very interesting base for Gnome Mobile development
> > or at least one of the development environments. Especially since it
> > brings the power of Ubuntu (and in the future why not also full Debian)
> > into mobile devices with better optimisation than what normal Debian
> > allows (though currently they are using kind of dirty way of bringing
> > those optimisations). Of course it is just ARM port, but this same
> > approach allows porting to other architectures too. Check Andrew's
> > presentation about the subject, it's quite good:
>
> well, I do not see much of of benefit from this project. Its just a desktop
> distribution built for ARM devices. Like you mentioned there is Debian for ARM
> already and Mojo does not provide a useful environment for mobile devices... its
> a desktop distribution.
> Its nice to see that most of the desktop applications work on ARM as well, but
> for Gnome Mobile distributions that target mobile devices such as Angstrom and
> Poky are much more interesting.

Yeah Im totally with Florian on this. Id like to understand what you see
as the advantage of this over some PR and it being a 'cool' hack.

As Im sure Florian will remember, we were running full Debian on iPaq's
with CF microdrives at least 5 years ago as part of the handhelds.org
'Intimate' distribution. It soon became apparent that though 'cool', it
presented many difficult problems and thus the project never really went
anywhere.

  == Matthew