New compositor not working on my machine :-(

Hi,

I just build metacity with the compositor enabled with jhbuild
following the instructions overhere [1]

On my laptop a Dell D410 with intel graphics card stuff like beryl and
compiz works fine, but if I enable the compositor of metacity I first
get some flickering (blue and white squares which flicker). This stops
after a few seconds, but then the windows do not have a titlebar
anymore. If I log out of my jhbuild gnome the system freezes.

Any ideas? Do I need to set LIBCM_TFP??

Other (maybe stupid) question but in which file would I set the
environment variables that are suggested in [1] such that they get set
before metacity gets executed?

Thanks

Jaap

[1] http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/metacity/trunk/doc/compositor-control.txt?rev=3047