Re: binding keys to actions without gconf

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 09:05 -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 5/10/06, Seb James <seb esfnet co uk> wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I've built metacity 2.8.13 without gconf which runs very well.
> >
> > Is there any mechanism in metacity for capturing and acting on key
> > presses? I don't think there is, but I just wanted to be sure.
>
> Well, enabling gconf is the obvious one.  ;-)  Without gconf though,
> there are (at least) two ways to get keybindings to work in metacity:
>
> (1) Upgrade to metacity 2.14.x
> (2) Backport the relevant code to metacity 2.8.13 (see bug 326661).
>
> metacity 2.8.x is obsolete so if you try route (2), you're on your
> own.  Anyway, if you do either of those two, then you can just modify
> the screen_string_bindings and window_string_bindings arrays defined
> in metacity/src/prefs.c to setup the keybindings you want.

Thanks for the info Elijah, I'm going to have a go at (2) because I want
to stick with my GTK+-2.4.4 based system. The main reason being that
metacity 2.14.x requires GTK+-2.6 which requires pango 1.8.x. The
libpangoxft in pango 1.8.x has a footprint which is about a meg larger
than that from pango 1.4.x and I'd like to save the space.

regards,

Seb James

--
Embedded Software Foundry Ltd. 'Embedded Linux Development'
Tel: +44 (0)845 4580277   Web: http://www.esfnet.co.uk/