Re: binding keys to actions without gconf

On 5/10/06, Seb James <seb esfnet co uk> wrote:
Hi List,

I've built metacity 2.8.13 without gconf which runs very well.

Is there any mechanism in metacity for capturing and acting on key
presses? I don't think there is, but I just wanted to be sure.

Well, enabling gconf is the obvious one.  ;-)  Without gconf though,
there are (at least) two ways to get keybindings to work in metacity:

(1) Upgrade to metacity 2.14.x
(2) Backport the relevant code to metacity 2.8.13 (see bug 326661).

metacity 2.8.x is obsolete so if you try route (2), you're on your
own.  Anyway, if you do either of those two, then you can just modify
the screen_string_bindings and window_string_bindings arrays defined
in metacity/src/prefs.c to setup the keybindings you want.