Re: Help

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 01:01, Stefan Willmert wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I'm looking for some instructions on exactly how to use memprof. I have a
> server application which I KNOW has a memory leak. It is multi-threaded, and
> contains a custom web server that i wrote.
>
> Each time I call a web page, i notice the memory increase using "top".
>
> I've been attempting to use memprof, but i do not understand what everything
> means, and i've searched for help files or documentation to no avail.
>
> 1. Should the number of allocations continually increase?

Not unless your program is leaking.

> 2. Same for total bytes? is this cumulative?

No, it's the total bytes you currently have allocated.

> 3. Under the profile, what is self and total? is this bytes allocated by
> itself, or other methods it has called? also, is this cumulative as well?

self - number of allocated directly from function
current - number of bytes allocated from function and children

Nothing is cumulative.

This is on the web page :-)  http://www.gnome.org/projects/memprof/

> 5. is there anything that shows the total allocated memory at any one time?
> 6. Any explanation of the output on stdout? especially ** WARNING **: Block
> 0x807eed0 not found!

It means Pango thinks someone tried to free a block of memory that
is not allocated. If your program isn't crashing without memprof
it's probably memprof not quite working right on your system /
with your program.

All output to the console is debugging output - if everything is
working 100% correctly, there shouldn't be anything there.

> If someone can point me to some documentation regarding this app, I would
> appreciate it. thank you

Sorry, no docs. (That's the other thing in the FAQ section on
the web page.)

Regards,
                                      Owen