Re: memprof trouble on debian

Hi Owen,

On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 12:50, Owen Taylor wrote:
> But what's the point? It might make it compile on Solaris, but is it going
> to _work_ on Solaris? Linux-specific stuff in MemProf is very extensive...

	No - it's not going to work on Solaris - but it's almost certainly more
likely not to work if it doesn't compile.

> I guess the straightforward profiling stuff might have half a chance if you
> figured out how to do backtraces on SPARC, but the memory leak stuff would
> take a lot more work.

	I've no idea how to do back-traces on SPARC - I imagine a very similar
method would work - when I had the machine running, we had libbfd
kicking around - which I assumed helped with that.

> (The locking stuff should be easier to adopt for Solaris now -- all you
> need to do is provide an implementation of mi_atomic_increment() and
> mi_atomic_decrement())

	Why not use GThread ? you're worried that it might do dynamic
allocation in future ? presumably so might pthread_* ?

	Confused,

		Michael.