MembershipCommittee | Emeritus Membership Request for Joaquim Rocha (#86)

Title: GitLab

Joaquim Rocha created an issue #86:

Personal details

GNOME Account UID: @jrocha

(I do have also @joaquimrocha apparently, but the one above is the one I use. I should eventually merge them if possible)

Application

I first started developing using the GNOME stack 13 years ago give or take, when I started my project OCRFeeder, and later as part of my work at Igalia, Red Hat, and Endless. As a GNOME advocate and community member, I joined the GNOME Foundation in January 2011 and helped organize GUADEC in Coruña the following year. I also participated in several GUADEC events as a speaker and was working very closely to the community during my time at Endless (until 2019), having organized the GNOME Core Apps Hackfest in 2016 in Berlin.

Since mid 2019, my job (at Kinvolk) involves a different open source community and "software realm" which, together with some family events and life, leave me very little spare time for actively contributing to GNOME. Besides the community and professional involvement, GNOME is very dear to me as I feel like a learned a lot from its projects and its people, and certainly my life would be very different had I not been involved with it; that is one of the main reasons I'd like to keep connected to it.

Therefore, I kindly request the Emeritus Membership in order to keep being more directly connected to the project and community, and to keep full Gitlab access, even if it is for my very sporadic maintenance work on OCRFeeder.

I hope you accept my request, and I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Contributions

Community: Helped organize GUADEC 2012 and the Core Apps Hackfest event in 2016. Even though the majority of my GNOME-related code was in several forks (Maemo at Igalia, and Endless) in a time when there was no GNOME Circle, my main code upstream contributions are: • OCRFeeder, my sadly neglected project, which has been hosted and developed within the GNOME infrastructure since 2019, and was used not only as an office tool, but also as an accessibility tool for people with visual impairements to help reading scanned text. • GNOME Software , as part of my job at Endless, where I worked very close with Richard Hughes and contributed to core features upstream like implementing the revamped categories design, and changes to the plugins system. • GNOME Control Center / Wacom panel and gnome-settings-daemon (for a short while, as part of my job at Red Hat) • Shorter contributions to several other projects like the GNOME Initial Setup, GNOME Builder (a good while ago), and others I may miss now.