Re: Exceptions to renewals / new memberships processing during elections

On 05/29/2013 12:01 PM, Fabiana Simões wrote:

Considering this constraint, I think we could improve the process by
sending, along with the elections announcement, a list of members that will
need renewal during the elections period. We can also set a deadline, prior
to the elections, for renewals and new applications, so that we can
guarantee everything runs as smooth as possible. This way, anyone whose
membership expiration falls within the elections period would have a chance
to anticipate the renewal and therefore vote.

The other possibility is to not have membership expiration fall within
the elections period. Because while I feel for Andrew, I totally see
Andrea's point: It's not our job to hold the hands of our members to
ensure they do what they need to do.

Honestly speaking that's a problem not easily fixable by the
Membership Committee.

Indeed. But perhaps the Membership Committee can make it harder for a
member to make the mistake of not applying in time. For instance, what
if the duration of membership was changed so that it never, ever expired
in the same month as an election? Either shorten it to 23 months or
extend it to 25 months. The former gives members more reaction time; the
latter prevents situations like Andrew's from ever happening.

Take care.
--joanie