Re: About the voting rules

You definitely have good points. Maybe your comments
can be incorporated into the election next year; for
this year the rules should not be changed at this late
time in the election...

Andy

--- Adrian Custer <acuster nature berkeley edu> wrote:
Hey all,

Thank you to the election committee for running the
election. I'm just
now getting around to voting so I came across the
rules. Here there are:

Your ballot will be considered invalid if one of
these conditions
has been violated:
* there is no member e-mail address
* the member e-mail address is not the e-mail
address this ballot was
sent to
* there is no validation token
* the validation token is not valid
* there are too many candidates chosen (more than
11)
* there is no candidate chosen
* there is a duplicate vote for a candidate

The last two are problematic. I don't think either
should invalidate a
ballot.

1) voting for no one actually has an important
function, one very
different from not voting. There is no reason this
should invalidate a
ballot. The ballot should be added to the total
tally and no votes cast.

2) duplicate names should not prevent the ballot
from working, they are
merely useless. These votes should simply be
discarde, not the ballot
itself.

I'm sure the committee has thought about this and
maybe decided the
extra effort (parsing, cross-checking or whatever)
outweighed the
benefits of accepting these ballots. Still in a
perfect foundation,
these rules would be different.

all the best,
adrian