Application received from Peter Korn (korn sun com)

Name: Peter Korn
E-mail: korn sun com
irc.gnome.org nickname (if any):
cvs.gnome.org username (if any):

Detailed description:
I began the GNOME Accessibility effort (see the
GNOME Accessibility Summit meeting of October
19, 2002), at:

  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/presentations/

With Bill Haneman, I defined the GNOME accessibility
architecture, and updates to it.  Prior to that
I co-developed the Java Accessibility API, upon
which the GNOME architecture is significantly
based.

I am also one of the very public "faces" of GNOME
to the disability community, which in part led to
GNOME and Sun receiving the Helen Keller Achievement
Award in New York last month - see:

  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/news.html

I have and continue to work at Sun with the our
GNOME Accessibility team, advising them in their
technical work, reviewing their work, etc.  This
includes keyboard accessibility and theming,
as well as the accessibility APIs of ATK, at-spi,
and the Java<->GNOME accessibility bridge.  I'm
also advising on the gnome-speech and gnome-mag
projects.

I brought the University of Toronto and BAUM into
the GNOME fold, and continue to work closely with
them as they develop the GOK on-screen keyboard
and the Gnopernicus screen reader/magnifier for
the GNOME desktop.

Contacts:
Bill Haneman (bill haneman sun com)(GNOME Accessibility coordinator; maintainer of atk, at-spi, gail,
gnome-mag, and probably other things)
John Heard (john heard sun com)
Marc Mulcahy (marc mulcahy sun com) (gnome-speech maintainer)
Draghi Puterity (mp baum de) (gnopernicus coordinator/maintainer)
David Bolter (david bolter utoronto ca) (GOK coordinator/maintainer)

In addition to my work "behind the scenes" in
the engineering side, I am very actively promoting
GNOME and GNOME Accessibility to the disability
community and the U.S. other country's governments.

I'm also working with companies and open source
communities to bring other applications to the
GNOME Accessibility framework (such as Netscape/Mozilla,
StarOffice/OpenOffice).

[Application received at Wed Oct 30 23:52:26 2002 (Eastern time)]