Re: Developing in Windows

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 05:26, Waldo Withers via meld-list
<meld-list gnome org> wrote:

Hi y'all,

Can one develop and build this in Windows, or do I need to use Linux? If it needs to be Linux as I suspect,
does anyone have a virtual machine they don't mind giving me, by chance? It'd save me a bit of time, though
it's not necessary. If it can be built in Windows, how? I keep getting this error:

compiling gresources
glib-compile-resources --target=build\data\org.gnome.meld.gresource --sourcedir=meld/resources
meld/resources/meld.gresource.xml
error: command 'glib-compile-resources' failed: No such file or directory

Yes, you can build and develop on Windows, though I haven't personally
done this in a while. You'll need a MinGW environment set up, and from
there our Gitlab CI build script *should* give you some idea of the
requirements:

    https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/meld/blob/master/.gitlab-ci.yml#L42

Specifically, I think `glib-compile-resources` should be in the
glib2-devel package there.

As a minor note though... depending on what you're doing, I'd
recommend developing against the `meld-3-20` branch at the moment.
`master` is currently in the midst of changing build systems and I
don't know whether anyone has tried getting the new build to run on
Windows at all. Theoretically the old build will still mostly work,
but... I'm far from confident.

cheers,
Kai