Re: File filters for version control view?

On 26 February 2018 at 20:29, Ben Ross <Ben Ross scisys co uk> wrote:
From: meld-list [mailto:meld-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Kai Willadsen

Meld's version control view always tries to show you whatever your version control is going to show you on
the command line, and I personally consider that to be a good design choice. Having said that, several
people have wanted this so... even though I disagree, I'm open to the notion that I just don't get it.

On a technical/UI level, it's a reasonable amount of work to do this.
The main thing is that it should be *really obvious* that this was happening, and it should probably be
untied from the current global on/off setting of the filter. In other words, just because I filter out
comment changes in my file comparison doesn't mean that I want to blanket commit files that have
comment-only changes when in version control view.

In short, feel free to file an issue! However, I can't even picture how the user interaction would work at
the moment, which means that in my mind, it's a long way off.

The principle that Meld's version control view shows you what your version control shows on the command
line is good. However considering subversion (which I know best) it does categorise non-version controlled
files into 2 categories, unversioned and ignored (and recent contact with git suggests to me it might do
the same). Rather than using melds filtering a better option may be displaying files according to these 2
statuses which would continue the principle of showing what the version control shows while allowing
viewing of unversioned files. Other graphical version control display programs often allow the option to
show or not show files in either of these 2 statuses.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Meld already
has filter buttons for unversioned files vs. ignored files, which
represent (I think) exactly what you're describing. However, that's a
matter of what the version control system sees as being ignored. The
original request in the thread was for an additional layer of
text-based filtering in version control view that matches what we
currently have in folder comparison.

cheers,
Kai