Re: Feature Suggestions

On 9 March 2017 at 00:15, John Ulvr <John Ulvr solace com> wrote:
You should be able to cut/paste/edit the path of the files you are
comparing.   My problem is that I usually compare files from different
branches of code, where only the top directory name changes.   So, for
example, I might want to compare
//home/john/workspace1/product1/release43/drivers/char/foo/foo.c with
//home/john/workspace2/product1/release43/drivers/char/foo/foo.c.   The
problem is that currently to do that, I have to select my first file, and
then go all the way back to my root, and renavigate the entire tree to get
my second file.   This is not overly convenient.   If I could edit the path
and just change the one directory, it would be much faster.

This has been a common feature request, and basically we haven't done
this because we're using upstream GTK+ widgets, and I have bad
experiences trying to maintain such a custom widget in the past. That
doesn't necessarily mean that we'll keep using the exact UI we have.

Also, you don't actually have to do what you describe. Hitting Ctrl+L
in the normal file chooser will get you a path entry where you can
copy/paste/etc.

Allow an auto-reload option.   The file merge window can detect if a file
has changed, and if so it asks if you want to reload or hide.   It would be
nice to have a third button, auto-reload, which would mean that every time
it detects that the file has changed, it automatically reloads without
prompting.   Having it remember the line number the cursor was on, after
reload would also be nice for this feature.   (again, for justification: I
do my editing in source insight.   I often want to see what’s changed.
However, if I modify a file outside of source insight, source insight looses
all it’s bookmarks, etc.   So I often have Source Insight open on one
screen, and Meld on the other, but I make all the changes in SI…).

I can see why you'd want this, but I feel like our current behaviour
is more consistent with existing editors, most notably gedit which we
use as a fairly strong influence.

Remembering the line number seems like a thing we could look at
though. Could you please file a bug?

cheers,
Kai