modifying the meld user interface

Hello,

I have two quick questions about the meld user interface:

1)
the horizontal scrollbar (at the bottom) is displayed even if text width
does not exceed the window width (ie, when there is nothing to scroll).

Is it possible to hide the scrollbar ?

2)
similarly, is it possible to hide the "tab window", the one with the
"close tab" button, which is displayed at the top left under the menu?

If there is no configuration setting for either of those, I would be
happy to change the source code (if somebody can suggest what to modify)

thanks,