Re: Context Menu Feature Request

On 26 August 2016 at 00:20, Matt Anderson <mpanderson06 gmail com> wrote:

I’m new to Meld and have tried to search for this and have not found anything.  If this has already been requested and I missed it, I apologize.

I have used SourceGear DiffMerge for a while now and have grown rather fond of the context menu they have in Windows.

This lets the user open the file or folder in DiffMerge, but what I use this for is to Remember Folder for my first folder.

Then for the second folder I use the new context menu that pops up to compare the second folder with the remembered folder.  This does get a bit tedious with the multiple levels of contextual folders, but it does give good flexibility.  The remembered files and folders are stored in “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SourceGear\SourceGear DiffMerge\ShellExtension”.  The problem they have is the remembered files and folders never get deleted so I have a batch file that runs as a scheduled task to delete this folder and recreates it to clear all entries.

Something like this used to exist for the Nautilus file manager... I believe it was called nautilus-compare, but was never ported to GTK+ 3.

Something like this would be really nice to have as a part of Meld.  Even if what would happen from the Windows context menu was to bring up the UI and let the user select whether to do a diff or a 3 way merge and choose the other options needed.

I agree that this would be cool, but I'd probably shy away from including it as part of Meld. Meld's command line API should be able to do almost all of what an extension like this would offer, so there's no reason it can't be a third-party tool. Anyway, thanks for outlining the use case for this kind of extension.

cheers,
Kai