Re: Noob asks: How to hack meld?

On 4 October 2015 at 08:11, Deft Developer <dev hymes name> wrote:
I want to try hacking a feature in meld, but I don’t know anything about python infrastructure. In
particular, after I edit a *.py file,  I don’t know how to “build” ./bin/meld and run  in my local
development directory. I’m hoping that I don’t have to read through all of the distutils documentation :)

There's no build step! You can just run bin/meld from your local
checkout and that will (somewhat magically) grab all its resources
including code from the checkout.

My goal is to add an option to NOT recurse into  sub-directories, thereby improving performance and
preventing crashes when comparing large deep directories.

Cool, but just FYI that's not a patch that's likely to automatically
get accepted (though it's also not impossible). Any additional
preference generally has to meet a high bar in order to get in,
particularly when it's a "unbreak my use case" kind of patch that is
likely to have to be supported indefinitely. Also, best I know there's
no open crashers, etc. for deep folder comparisons.

And I'm hitting broken-record-state at this point, but this might
again be a use case for having a plugin infrastructure.

cheers,
Kai