Re: [pull request] Fix broken test, simplify test asserts and facilitate running tests

On 2015-05-08 07:04, Kai Willadsen wrote:

On 08/05/2015 3:03 AM, "Magnus Ihse Bursie" <magnus ihse net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to help contribute with more and better unit tests for Meld. As a start, I've created a small patch that fixes so the current test suite passes without failures, and makes it slightly more inviting to run tests.
>
> I have created a pull request on github: https://github.com/GNOME/meld/pull/6. This is based on the GNOME github mirror of Meld, https://github.com/GNOME/meld. Does this seem like a good way to contribute, or do you want me to mail a patch to the list instead?

The patch looks good to me. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to apply it at the moment, and won't be for a couple more weeks. Rest assured that the work is appreciated however.

Thanks! It's no hurry, my idea is more of a long-term goal, and I just have a little spare time to spend on Meld, so I suspect any future updates from me will be only sporadically.
As for github vs. the mailing list, while I'm fine with getting PRs, the problem is that I can't actually accept or close it via github, because that's a read-only mirror. Patches to the mailing list (or bugzilla) are sadly the best option. However, if you'd rather submit PRs I'm not going to turn them down...

I'm well used to the old-school patch way of life, so that's fine to me. :-) I just saw an opportunity to try out a new and slightly more modern workflow. In this case, I think you can extract the patch from the pull request, but I'll send future patches as, well, patches. :)

/Magnus

Cheers,
Kai