Re: How to get syntax highlighting work on Windows?

On 3 July 2015 at 19:39, Simon Vizzini <simon vizzini83 gmail com> wrote:
Hello everyone!

Meld is by far my most favorite diff/merge tool, but unfortunately I have to
use Windows at work.

The Meld for Windows version works fine except I'm unable to get syntax
highlighting to work and I can't find any instructions how to make this to
work on Windows.

I'm not familiar with GTK+, but from what I understand Meld needs the
gtksourceview plugin for syntax highlighting. I downloaded the GTK+ v3.6.4
Windows bundle, extracted it to a local folder and added it to my PATH
environment variable. This is in my PATH: C:\GTK\bin.

After that I downloaded gtksourceview 2.10 and libxml2 2.7.8 and extracted
those into my GTK+ folder. I also found some resources suggesting that I
need to install Python 2.7 and pygtksourceview 2.10, so I installed those
too. But syntax highlighting still won't work and yes, I have the checkbox
ticked in "Preferences".

Am I doing something wrong? I'd really appreciate any help, because getting
syntax highlighting to work would be totally awesome.

So here's the thing... you shouldn't have to do any of that. The MSI
bundles everything that *should* be required, including GtkSourceView.
However, I recently realised that it only worked for me under specific
conditions, probably because I have some resources installed locally.

I've tried adding the GtkSourceView lang and theme files to the MSI
(which were missing, and we definitely will need), but that doesn't
seem to fix it. I'll try and figure this out before 3.14... probably
I'm just missing a resource file, or the paths to the resource files
are wrong.

cheers,
Kai