Help with updating file permission status

Hi,

I’ve recently upgraded from meld 1.4 to 1.8.5, having finally been able to upgrade my office workstation to SLES11-SP1 :-)

We use Perforce for version control, and had modified the “Open Externally” menu pick to use a custom command - “p4 edit” – i.e. checkout the file and make it available for editing. Meld did not check file permission until trying to save changes, so this worked well. With the move to 1.8.5, this is no longer the case – when the file is initially opened, it is read only, so meld does not allow changes to copied into it. After the “Open Externally” has been called, the file is now writable, but meld does not notice the change in permissions.

I have hacked about in the 1.8.5 source, to add a new menu item “Perforce Edit”, which I can get to call “p4 edit”, but I cannot work out how to get the file status to be checked again. I found the on_current_diff_changed method, which appears to update the state of the push & pull arrows, but I cannot work out how to call this from the result of the menu pick L If anybody can point me (as a total python newbie!) in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks,

Alasdair