Re: Confused by filters

On 17 December 2014 at 23:20, David Aldrich <David Aldrich emea nec com> wrote:
I am running Meld 1.8.6 on Ubuntu 10.04. I am using Meld to compare two
source trees that are taken from Subversion repositories.  I want to ignore
the $<keyword> strings that are included in each file’s header. So I went to
Text Filters and enabled ‘CVS keywords’ because I assume that the same
regular expression will work for SVN keywords (perhaps you could rename the
filter to indicate this?).

Yeah that sounds like a sensible idea.

Now when I look at the comparison I see:

1)      In folder view, files that are identical except for their keywords
are shown in blue.

2)      If I open a blue file (pair is identical except for keyword) I am
told that the file pair is identical but that a text filter is being used.
The keyword difference is not shown.

Now behaviour (2) seems correct and indicates that the filter is working.

Yes, (2) is definitely what I'd expect.

Why then, in (1) are the files that differ only in svn keyword shown in blue
when, because of the filter, they are identical?

I've just tested this on 3.12, master and 1.8, and they all work as
expected for me.

There are two possibilities where this may not work. The first is that
if you have shallow comparison turned on, then we do no content
comparison and so the regexes won't apply. The second is that for
annoying but long-standing reasons, file comparison ignores line
endings when doing its comparison, and folder comparison does not. So,
if your two files differ only in line endings (after filters) you'll
see them come up as different in folder comparison, but they'll be
shown as identical in file comparison.

cheers,
Kai