Re: Any way to get setup.py to work (Ubuntu 14.04)?

On 9 April 2014 06:35, Scott Kostyshak <skostysh princeton edu> wrote:
Hi and thank you for all of the work on meld. First off, I can run
meld just fine from the local directory. Further, there's no
particular reason I need to use the development version anyway.
However, when I report bugs/ feature requests, I like to make sure
they are still valid on the development version

I'm trying to install the master branch of the current git on Ubuntu
14.04. The following command runs without error:

$ sudo ./setup.py install

The following command then gives errors:

$ meld
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/meld", line 220, in <module>
    setup_resources()
  File "/usr/local/bin/meld", line 181, in setup_resources
    provider.load_from_path(css_file)
gi._glib.GError: Failed to import: Error opening file: No such file or directory

It's entirely likely that this doesn't work for non-/usr prefix installs. We rely on setup.py install installing to what Python thinks sys.prefix is. If those don't match, then we can't find our files. You can check sys.prefix by:

$ python2
>>> import sys
>>> sys.prefix

Or alternatively, add a print line in setup_resources where you're seeing the traceback. I'm guessing that it will be /usr, but the install has gone to /usr/local.

cheers,
Kai