Re: Meld feature - patch proposal

On 25 October 2013 13:13, Ezhil Lang <ezhillang gmail com> wrote:
Hello Kai,
Nice work on Meld - it is one of my favorite merge tools. I propose a
feature where meld asks you to change file-permissions of target file on
Linux machine when the file-merge fails due to permission reasons.

Motivation: Some code I work on has a convention of marking edited files
with a 755 permission against version control HEAD files, checkout with a
444 permission. So when I develop on this system I have a hard time merging
using meld, because of not being able to change permissions from within the
tool - a switch back and forth between terminal and meld GUI.

While I can understand the problem you're trying to fix, I think it's
very specific to your project, so I'm not sure that incorporating this
in to Meld would be a good idea. Apart from anything else, Meld can't
possibly know what it should actually change the permissions to in the
general case.

Would it be possible to work around this problem by just creating a
wrapper script that chmod-ed files as part of invoking Meld as a merge
tool?

Cheers,
Kai