"static/fixed" mode on file diff view

Hello, everyone!

I'm a happy meld user and I've just joined this list because I have
some improvement ideas I'd like to share, discuss and help implement.

The current visual highlighting of matching chunks is awesome. But the
scrolling can get a little confusing to use because it lacks
one-to-one alignment between lines in the panes.

I'd like to experiment adding an option to make the diff view
scrolling fixed between panes. I'd have to add vertical spacing in the
panes to fill the gaps (can be done with "null" lines), so that
identical lines are always aligned (regardless of the scrolling
position) and so are matching chunks.

What do you guys think of this idea?

I'd appreciate some guidance on how this could be hacked in the code base.

Regards,
--
Pedro Pedruzzi