Re: Empty comparison windows

Just the tab contents are empty, the application window still comes up.  There's a screenshot at the bottom of http://code.google.com/p/meld-installer/issues/detail?id=32.  Ignore the earlier comments and description; the reporting user re-used an older unrelated issue.  The new issue for this problem is http://code.google.com/p/meld-installer/issues/detail?id=42.  I'll post your suggestion about not using the system font and trying some other fonts there.

-Keegan

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Kai Willadsen <kai willadsen gmail com> wrote:
On 31 December 2013 07:39, Keegan Witt <keeganwitt gmail com> wrote:
> Any suggestions for what they can try for getting some more information?  I
> had one of them try running with python instead of pythonw and the output he
> got is below.  It sounds from the message below that it might be an issue
> with the font not having the glyphs to support the characters used by the
> system locale.  But if that were the case, you'd think only some characters
> wouldn't be rendered.  Sorry, I'm not familiar with how GTK handles
> localization bindings.
>
> F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld>python\App\python.exe meld\bin\meld
> F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld\meld\meld\meldwindow.py:226: PangoWarning:
> couldn't l
> oad font "瀹嬩綋 9", falling back to "Sans 9", expect ugly output.
>   self.widget.show()
> F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld\meld\meld\meldwindow.py:226: PangoWarning:
> couldn't l
> oad font "瀹嬩綋 Not-Rotated 9", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 9", expect
> ug
> ly output.
>   self.widget.show()
> F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld\meld\meld\meldwindow.py:641: Warning:
> g_object_set_qd
> ata: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
>   self.notebook.remove_page(page_num)
> meld\bin\meld:167: GtkWarning: gdkdrawable-win32.c:2013 drawable is not a
> pixmap
>  or window
>   gtk.main()
> F:\lm\meld\meld-1.8.3\Meld\meld\meld\task.py:114: Warning:
> g_object_set_qdata: a
> ssertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
>   ret = task()

Oh hey cool... unicode font names... what could possibly go wrong?
(I don't know that that's an actual problem, but certainly fonts
failing to load would break stuff.)

When you say 'empty comparison window', is there no UI at all, or is
it just the individual tab UIs failing to load?

I guess if Meld launches and they can get to a usable preferences
dialog they could try unticking the 'use system font' preference and
selecting fonts until something works? I'm not certain that that's the
problem but it may explain the behaviour. I'd expect that to screw up
file comparisons though; I don't think we use font settings in folder
comparisons anywhere.

As for the subsequent warnings, those probably started happening
during GLib/GTK 2.x series bumps, either because we were doing broken
things, because PyGTK had some maintenance hiccups, or because GLib
broke ABI. I haven't managed to track down all of these warnings, and
they generally seem to have no impact.

cheers,
Kai